Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Things Americans say to Asian Americans in America

So as to not make Asians look like the only people capable of bigotry, I thought I’d spread the love around. Sorry, again, I should be more PC. Replace bigotry with: the lack of culture understanding that isolation brings.

Going to high school in white, white Ohio:

As one of two Asian kids in my high school (the other was a Korean girl adopted by white, Midwest parents, so I was the 'real' Asian), I got asked regularly: “Charlene, how do you think Asians feel about this issue?”

“Why don’t you tell me more about where you are from? I’ve always wanted to learn more about the Orient.”

At least Asia has physical boundaries…


“So do you, like, eat Chinese food at home? You know, I just love Wor Su Gai.”

I told him that I never heard of breaded and deep fried chicken until I came to the States.

I didn’t tell him that the bright yellow sauce reminds me of radioactive material.


“You are a very pretty Oriental girl. Now if you weren’t of another race, I’d really like to ask you out.”

Speechless.


“Speak some Chinese to me! It always sounded like pots slamming to me.”

That’s because you can’t even speak one language well.


“All Asian people look the same to me.”

To my grandmother, all white people look the same.


Eliz,

Growing up in New York and living in Orange County now, you may have forgotten how racially homogenous Ohio is. I hope not as we passed many good laughs over racial ignorance at OSU. But I maintain my humor in China as I do in Ohio because hearing racial comments more than once in my teenage years, what can I do but laugh at the ridiculousness of it all?

Love, Charlz

3 comments:

  1. Again, I admire your ability to maintain your sense of humor. It's an important life skill. :)

    No, I definitely haven't forgotten! Actually, while I grew up color-blind in New York, I don't think California is color-blind at all, even though it's incredibly diverse. I don't know if native Californians feel the same way, but based on my experiences/observations, I actually feel that California is very race conscious (and racist), but in a much more subtle and socioeconomic-overlapping way. And in my opinion, much more gross (e.g., "I would never live in so-and-so city [because it's where all the Mexicans live].").

    I think it's different than in Ohio because in Ohio, most racist people are OPENLY racist (and it is easy to dismiss them as "oh... well, they're redneck and they look it... what do you expect?"), whereas in California, no one would openly admit that they are. And the racism can come from who you would expect to be educated/cultured people. So... that is irritating and uncool.

    Anyway, as a social experiment, you should live here at one point in your life, so I can get a second opinion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi dear,
    Could this be because you become more racism and its subtleties as you grow up, so your realizations are more a part of changes within you than your external moves?
    I'll partake in your experiment: move to Cali to give you a second opinion if I can live on your couch:).
    Charlz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit, for the first year or so after having returned from S. Korea, I was always a bit shocked to hear an Asian American speaking perfect American English...I guess I had gotten mentally lazy. :/

    ReplyDelete